Never Forget
Copyright © 2026
by Chantelle Henderson
It’s hard to believe that 9/11/2001 was 25 years ago. I would bet everyone remembers exactly where they were when hearing about it or seeing it on the news; especially live news when the second plane hit the second tower. May we never forget the almost 3,000 men and women whose lives were taken that day. The best way we can honor them is to never forget what the world was like on 9/12/2001 - unified, selfless, compassionate; no race or religion. No politics or power plays. We were truly one nation under God.
9/11 is the heaviest day of my heart every year, not just because of the horrific attacks.
You see, ten years ago today, on September 11, 2016, the phone rang in the early morning hours. Ryan answered it, then handed it to me with tears welling up in his eyes. Before I ever took the phone from his hand, I knew. I already knew.
All that remained was the confirmation.
I put the phone to my ear and heard my mom say the words I could never have prepared my heart to hear: “Your dad is gone. Come on.” [to Memphis]
And just like that, life as I knew it changed forever. It has never been the same.
The incalculable loss of my father - my very best friend, hero, and the one person who believed in me more than anyone else in my entire life, left a longing that only our reunion in the presence of the Lord will satisfy.
TWENTY. FIVE. YEARS.
TEN. YEARS.
Time has been and will continue to pass as days become months. Months become years. Years become decades. And decades become centuries. It stops for no one.
So….
Make the call.
Send the text.
Write the letter.
Extend the apology.
Build the bridge.
Make plans to get together and actually show up.
Encourage one another.
Use the fine china for pizza night.
Book the trip.
Open your heart.
Take the chance.
Let’s be who we were on 9/12/2001.
Don’t wait, because this I do know: For every day the Lord gives us breath, we are one day closer to being reunited with those who have gone before us - whole and restored, where there will be no more sickness, pain, sorrow, or suffering. What a glorious day of rejoicing that will be!
Until then, remember John 14:27, “Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.”


No comments