Copyright © 2026
by Chantelle Henderson
1 Peter 1:6-7
“You rejoice in this, even though now for a short time, if necessary, you suffer grief in various trials so that the proven character of your faith — more valuable than gold which, though perishable, is refined by fire — may result in praise, glory, and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.”
This is part one of a two part story the Lord has been writing in my life over the past 11 months. August 19, 2025, in fact. What began as one lengthy blog, quickly morphed into two and I am so good with that.
I’ve been wanting to share the following testimony since that August morning, but something told me to wait to write a blog about it. I only shared the details in their entirety with my tribe. I have revealed only some parts to others. There was something so specific about the timing with this one. I would begin to write, but I couldn’t seem to find the words. I would jot down a little something here and a little something there, but when I would sit down with my laptop, I struggled immensely. No matter how much I tried to force it, I couldn’t form sentences because I was at a loss for words.
So….
I decided to wait.
And wait.
And wait some more.
I refused to write without His hand guiding mine. Over the years I’ve learned that when He gives me the words, they flow naturally. I don’t have to force them. I stopped striving. In my waiting, I never doubted that one day the timing would be just right, and it so happens that that day is today. (Well, technically, I started writing this last week.)
As His Spirit stirred the depths of my heart, the words began to flow like living water. I simply put my fingers to the keyboard, trusting Him to guide every keystroke. I’m no gifted composer, but I know when the Master Musician is weaving together a melody of grace—one that I pray will encourage weary hearts and wounded souls to find their rhythm in His salvation, mercy, love, and faithfulness so that you too can walk in step with more of Him and less of you.
What changed? How did I know that now is the right time to publish this? Simply put: Confirmation.
Not just on one occasion, but in TWO separate posts, days apart, last week, Pastor Randy put into words what I was unable to give deep meaning to.
As you continue reading, I believe you’ll better understand how God wove this beautiful, glorious, “Only God” two part story together.
Can I ask you a question?
Have you ever experienced special events or a single occasion and desperately tried to describe it with words but fell significantly short of being able to do so? More specifically, a moment or memory you wanted to share as a testimony of what the Lord has done in your life, only to become frustrated because you couldn’t articulate precisely what you wanted to convey? I enthusiastically say, “Join the club!”
That happened to me last week.
I was on FaceTime with my precious friend, Herb, a.k.a. Staci yesterday and began to share recent parts of my story, more specifically, a journey that began in late August of last year. I thank God that she was so patient with me as I fumbled through my words and my failed attempts to paint the picture of exactly what it looked(s) like. Having known me since middle school, she was used to me becoming frustrated when I can’t just spit it out. It always helps when the person listening doesn’t rush you. It’s one of the many things I love about her.
Almost a year ago our church was wrapping up a sermon series on the 23rd Psalm. The message was about the “the valley of the shadow of death.” It was a unique service, with Sheeba teaching and another member testifying to God’s goodness and faithfulness in the valley of the shadow of the death of her husband and how we go THROUGH the valleys of life - we don’t stay in them.
I was wrestling with some core issues in my life. I was completely empty and at the point of mental, physical, and spiritual exhaustion and breakdown; just going through the motions of life. I’m gonna be honest. That Sunday I was only there to check off the “Attended church on Sunday” box.
When the worship team began to sing to close out the service, I began to weep without knowing what the tears were being birthed out of. It was a releasing of something. I just didn’t know what that something was. It certainly wasn’t a matter of emotions because I had none. I was completely shut down and numb. Not for lack of trying, but I couldn’t stop the tears from falling. I didn’t simply cry—I wept. Deep, gut-wrenching sobs came from somewhere I couldn’t explain. Before I realized what I was doing, I got up and began to make my way to one of the prayer crosses located on either side of the sanctuary.
My well of tears rapidly turned into heavy wailing and uncontrollable silent groans. The last time I can remember being that overwhelmed and in that much anguish was at my dad’s funeral in 2016.
No longer able to stand, I just fell to my knees. There was a deep cleansing taking place in the depths of my soul and I received it, arms, heart, and spirit wide open. I had no idea what was happening, but I did know that I wasn’t getting up off the floor until I understood.
Scales were falling from my eyes that I didn’t know were there. I could almost hear them shattering as they fell. It sounded like glass shattering into a thousand pieces on a concrete floor. How could I have been so blind?
How did I get there?
It wasn’t like I was out there partying, whooping it up, cheating on my husband, or any of the “major” sins, as some call them. No. It was compromising, priorities being out of order, poor time management, and filling my mind with the things and cares of this world more than God.
I began adopting false beliefs that I accepted as truths so that I could be safe and content instead of being inconvenienced and bothered.
I fell into a pattern of making shortcuts so I could have time to spend on temporal things of no eternal value.
I made choices to walk through the wide gates of destruction in lieu of the narrow ones that led to life and life more abundantly with my Jesus. The enemy knew how to make those wide gates look so enticing and fruitful, yet it only provided fleeting, temporary fulfillment. Instead of life, it brought imitations of the golden, shiny parts of my existence. All along it was nothing but lying vanities.
Beware of the enemy’s lullabies. His whispers are subtle, designed to quiet your discernment rather than alarm it. If you listen to them long enough, they can begin to sound familiar and even comforting, gently lulling your spirit into spiritual slumber. I was comfortably numb. I would even dare say lukewarm.
The sad part is that I knew better….much, much better.
What I encountered took me to a place of deep remorse and repentance and I fully surrendered all. And I mean ALL - even some of the good things. I wanted nothing more than to return to the truth that set me free and to walk in it.
As He was making all things new, I had no sense of time or awareness of who was around me, or if there was anyone around me. If I had to guess how long, what was taking place felt like hours. Now, I understand what Peter meant when he said, “Do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.”
In His infinite mercy and compassion, the Lord gave me supernatural strength to release my grip on every unhealthy mindset, resentment, rejection, bitterness, and the ever present, deceiving walls of self protection and preservation. By the time the last tear fell, I held on to nothing but Him and that was more than enough. It always has been and forever will be. Now, more than ever, I walk in constant, daily surrender and lean into Him for ALL my understanding.
Like a long, harsh winter suddenly giving way to an early and unexpected season of warmth His presence and the promise of a new, sacred season took place. He saturated me in His truth, His peace, and His presence. He answered my sincere prayer that I would decrease so He could increase. He stripped away all that was not of Him, leaving only what would bring Him glory. He faithfully removed everything in me that did not reflect His heart.
There, at the foot of the cross, where grace and suffering meet (as the song goes), I was being purified. I was in the Refiner’s fire and all that was not of Him was being consumed. He broke me wide open so He could radically transform me from the inside out and restore me to the joy of His salvation. I lie not when I say it was tangible. I could feel the complete emptying of self and the filling of His Spirit simultaneously. It’s absolutely indescribable.
My life hasn’t been the same since August 19, 2025. In fact, it may surprise you to know that I am facing more battles, tests, and trials now than I was then - a lot more. It may be a head-scratcher to know that I’ve never experienced this much peace, serenity, and joy in the middle of life’s of storms.
You see, in that one moment the Lord was preparing me for a season of storms and trials I never saw coming - some of which I would have bet that I couldn’t survive, or at the very least would leave my soul severely wounded.
I have been doing an extensive amount of traveling nonstop since February of this year. At this time, I am not at liberty to explain the reasons for it. I can, however, assure you that it is nothing greater or more powerful than the name of Jesus.
I can honestly say that I have never experienced such an amazing, all consuming peace that passes my natural, human understanding. My life certainly looks nothing like it did 11 months ago. In spite of all that is “broken” right now, I am confident in God’s ability to bring forth beauty out of ashes.
What I’ve learned, and am still learning minute by minute, hour by hour, and day by day is that 335 days ago, God began a work in me and He will finish it. Until then, I pray as Jesus did when He was in the Garden Of Gethsemane, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.” I mean it from the depths of my soul.
When I say the Lord’s Prayer everyday, I rest in the assurance that when I say, “Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.”, no matter what life looks like, He will always, always cause ALL things to work for my good and His glory.
That’s all I want to do - glorify and magnify His name. To know Him and make Him known. My heart’s deepest desire is to point others to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. He is worthy of all glory, honor, and praise.
This journey - this season - has never been about a single moment in 2025 when I encountered the power and presence of God like I had only experienced two times prior in my young 55 year-old life. It was always and will forever will be about HIS stories of salvation, forgiveness, righteousness, rescue, reconciliation, redemption, restoration, healing, faithfulness, mercy, grace, and endless, enduring love, no matter what we face in life.
Never have I ever sang so loud the following verse from “Amazing Grace”:
“Through many dangers, toils, and snares
I have already come.
'Tis grace that brought me safe thus far
And grace will lead me home, home.“
Below, I’ve referenced three quotes from PR’s post that lit the fire in my heart to put all this to pen and paper. I’m so appreciative for the words of a very wise pastor and incredible leader. We are so fortunate to have him as our shepherd at Grace New Hope.
“God has a way of preparing mercies before we ever know we will need them.”
“Long before the hardest week arrives, before the disappointment, before the tears, before the prayers whispered because there are no words left, He is already quietly planting reminders of His kindness. Little evidences of grace that seem ordinary when they arrive but become holy when the darkness comes.”
“That's how God so often works. His grace was on its way before the grief arrived.”



No comments