30¢

Copyright © April 2025 Chantelle Henderson 



We celebrate our wedding anniversary all month long.  I have pictures, cards, gifts, and anything else I can find in various drawers, boxes, and files.  This morning I came across this note from Ry and now I’m a hot mess.

I had flashbacks of when we’d just moved into our cute little house in Snellville, after renting a townhouse for a year.  When we purchased our first house, it was just that - a house, not a home.  In our first 2 years of marriage we were on the brink of separation many times-too many to count.  There were also a few discussions about divorce in every room in that house.


 As I looked inside the box of his cards, emails, and letters this morning, I came across this particular one and unfolded it.  The years have quickly gone by, but holding it in my hands made it feel as if it were just yesterday.  Because of aging the keepsakes are worn, wrinkled, tattered, smeared, and thinning.  Some had coffee rings on them.  As I read them one by one, I closed my eyes and went back in time.  I will be up front and tell you right now, that I was a horrid wife who took her husband for granted, disrespected him, and pushed him away.  Even so, he would go to the ends of the earth to bless me and make me feel special even, and especially, when I was undeserving.


He wasn’t joking when he gave this to me in 1999.  We basically had no money, as Ry was just beginning his sales career.  I was a homemaker for a while.  Things were extremely tight.  


The story behind this photo; We quite literally did not have money to buy me flowers back then.  He wanted to give me roses one day but couldn’t afford it, so he left this note on the kitchen counter.  Of course He wanted to give me real ones but we were living paycheck to paycheck, and often would not have a penny to our name.  At the time I saw it, I probably rolled my eyes and most likely entertained the thought of throwing it away in the trash. 


The fact the I didn’t throw it away makes it’s all the more endearing.  


It was him refusing to leave me, and instead choosing me-choosing us. He wasn’ kill going anywhere.  This represents a man, while although having a bitter and angry and disrespectful wife, found a way to express love, grace, forgiveness at her least deserving time. 

 

These days he may have a dollar or two and loves giving me real flowers.  Honestly, though, even if we did only have 31 cent right now he will move heaven and earth to find a way.


This is the thing; Ryan can give me all the roses and flowers from a million endless fields.  But the real priceless treasure is this letter.


No comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *